[READY] [GF: Phase 1 Proposal] Raptor

Its actually very close I plan to submit a proposal the beginning of July,
Also regarding the OP amount,
We are targeting a small percentage of the airdrop supply available for the community left to decide on. This works out being much more than the 324OP calculated previously as that was based on valid beacon chain depositors before filtering out centralised institutions.

Due to the low number of actual unique validators This makes the reward on an individual basis quite lucrative and yet does not burden OP supply.

This is actually very important, as the main purpose of this proposal (publishing very soon) is the incentives this creates around ETH staking, if this were to go through it will have huge benefits to the decentralisation of ETH staking which in turn benefits OP L2 and is in line with Optimism ethos of public goods and sustainability.

This sets a precedent for other L2s and Projects to include validators in distributions
(we have seen similar effects on public goods funding via Gitcoin because of similar external incentives)
this could turn the tide on centralisation of ETH staking, the additional incentives will be a push for a lot of people to put the extra effort to run solo validators and reduce LIDO/and others impact.

This is why it is imperative to reward solo validators and for it to be meaningful, which simply due to the low number of unique validators it works out this way even with a small % allocation.

One thing I want to mention, which has been brought up about conflict of interest, both me and @MinimalGravitas run validators, One of the points of my proposal is including node operators in the discussion
Validators are not simply service providers like miners, they must own ETH and run the physical layer of the network without which wouldn’t exist.
Validators/node operators should have a say in the development of L2, maybe not a large say but should absolutely have some say.

2 Likes