[Mission Request] Research and develop a framework to measure potential capture of the Token House

Measuring the capture or risk of capture of the Token House is really important and I’m generally supportive of work towards this end. I wanted to share a few points of feedback on the specifics of this mission request:

There is a Foundation Mission currently underway to develop a metric of concentration of power of the Collective. Two teams of data scientists are currently working on this:
Optimism Ecosystem Contributions 🔴✨ · GitHub

There is considerable overlap in the outcomes of these mission requests - both are seeking a way to measure the signals that the Token House or governance system as a whole are prone to capture. The primary difference is that the Foundation Mission Request specifies a data-driven approach. There are certainly other valuable methodologies for tackling this problem and I don’t think the existence of a similar Foundation mission is necessarily a reason to not incentivise other research in this space.

However, I do think that there are some things that would make this Mission Request stronger. I think that the suggested OP amount is very high (3x that of the existing Mission Request). It may also be helpful to outline some suggested approaches/methodologies and some ideas for how this framework might be used in practice by the Citizen’s House. One risk I see is that the framework developed under this mission is impractical, too abstract or doesn’t lead to meaningful impact because it isn’t used.

Disclaimer: I work for the Optimism Foundation but comments are my own

4 Likes