Layer2DAO - Grant Usage Final Summary

Okay, caught up on all of this. I think @0xWeston and @Exosphere’s responses in their statement made a good faith effort to address some of these claims. I appreciate the effort. As demonstrated by this thread, this clearly didn’t and likely won’t ever satisfy some folks. So how do we move on?

Just throwing out an idea, I wanted to respond specifically to this.

Let’s say hypothetically, I had malicious intent and I wanted to launder OP grant funds for my personal enrichment, I would literally follow the exact same playbook outlined by the on chain evidence. Get a grant for an org that can provide further grants outside of OP governance oversight, mix in some legitimate grants with some newly spun up orgs that I control, dump the OP for “expense reimbursements” and send it to myself. So I appreciate that you claim positive intent and are willing to show receipts for real expenses. However, I think breaking out the fainting couch to express your SHOCK that people continue to make absolutely baseless accusations to the contrary feels a bit disingenuous.

If we are being honest, this looks sketchy. This is crypto and there are scammers galore. Talk of good intent is cheap and there is ample on chain evidence that I think all reasonable people should agree needs to be answered for. After the first OP dumping incident the burden of proof that you are a good actor goes up. After this issue, it seems reasonable it should go up again. Assuming a, “well we meant well and once again didn’t know we were breaking the rules” should automatically patch everything up and we can move forward with sending you more OP is asking for a huge amount of trust that in my opinion needs to be earned back.

You seem to have a genuine passion for these projects… but you really are surprised that after the first L2DAO OP dumping incident people wouldn’t have a problem with OP funds being dumped and ending up in your coinbase wallet? It didn’t occur that maybe this should be proactively reported? That maybe having on-chain sleuths uncover this looks bad? Being on multiple multi-sigs that all received OP grants that were dumped is standard behavior and you can’t understand why anyone would have a problem with it? Any reasonable person would just remember that you are a concerned community member trying to build who maybe unintentionally cut a few corners on some rules because you are so passionate about NFTs on Optimism… really? If competitors are just out to ruin your projects as you seem to imply, why do things that will obviously give people pause?

All this to say, I think to move on and not have to rehash these arguments constantly a slightly more honest mea culpa from the L2DAO team is warranted and a little more self-awareness of how this looks would go a long way. Even a simple acknowledgement that you are aware of how any of this could be perceived as bad and that you are willing to satisfy extra accountability requirements during future grant rounds to prove the haters wrong seems like a good first step. I hope that we can start to deescalate things as this is starting to get pretty ugly. I think that you admitted that you may have made violated the letter of the law, but haven’t really acknowledged that you did anything wrong. I get you have some personal animus with folks here, but its not unreasonable that you need to take the first step to show good faith.

7 Likes