Intent 3: Season 5

As @jengajojo points out, growing the number of new users is valuable, but really difficult to measure without powerful anti-Sybil mechanisms. And without reliable metrics it’s difficult to see the value that kind of Intent could bring.

With regards to integrating real world use cases, it’s a very attractive idea, but (at the risk of seeming like a pessimist) I wonder if Optimism is really ready for that? I’d feel much more comfortable encouraging things like real world assets once we get fraud proofs integrated and turn into more of a ‘Stage 1’ (or 2) rollup. On the other hand, maybe we’re meaning more like examples and experiments for now that could be sensible? I don’t know, just feel a bit cautious with encouraging too much stuff to onboard that would have ‘real world’ consequences if we blew up or turned evil or something!

Either of those ideas could probably be tweaked and constrained into something that would work really well, especially if we take @AxlVaz’s interpretation of attracting new users by expanding into universities and different language communities, rather than focusing on gamable metrics like onchain accounts.

I guess to throw in another suggestion I’ll just go back to my idea for ‘Public Bads’ from last time: funding things like bug bounties for small projects, researching and publicizing risks of dodgy protocols etc.

4 Likes