Conflict of interest disclosure

Hey All,
I was going through the forum and could not see anything on Conflict-of-interest disclosure, if any by the governance members etc. I think this is important and should be disclosed for transparency and decentralization.

15 Likes

Conflict discloser is helpful as it creates confidence and transparency

7 Likes

Yes, Amber, I agree - conflict-of-interest disclosure is really important cornerstone of transparency! Maybe Optimism Collective has some sort of “register” for this already and somebody can link to it?

For example - I found one (I’m sure there are more like that) project saying that they will transfer tokens to “Optimism team”.

Which wallet received this transfer, who are “controllers” of that wallet and how they voted (if any vote commenced) on decisions related to this entity as well on questions involving decisions related to this entity direct/indirect competitors? What is the strategy towards this type of situations (tokens received by Optimism team), how wider community benefits from it?

The same project also states that they will involve “prominent figures” from within Optimism community in their governance. Who are those “prominent” figures? Do they have voting rights on decisions related to other projects/grants etc? If yes - what is their voting history? If not - why are they called “prominent”?

In general - what are rules to avoid interest-of-conflict in similar cases as above and are there control mechanisms in place?

Being Optimistic to receive answers from Team on particular entity above as well as in general! This would greatly improve trust in ecosystem - so needed nowadays!

7 Likes

sorry it’s hard to understand oblique references @Peter9 . perhaps you’d like to state your point a bit more clearly?

5 Likes

@Amber at least as far as the Grant Council is concerned, member nominations in this thread include CoI disclosures.

4 Likes

Sorry, if my English is not understandable to you! Question is about conflict of interest disclosure. And I gave one entity as an example asking - which wallet/address on Optimism received particular payment (20m vsVELO), who are controllers of that wallet and if they are voting members - how they avoid interest of conflict in case of decisions related to this particular entity and it’s competitors?
This is just an example of questions which arise thinking about conflict-of-interest - is there register of tokens received “by Team” and what are the rules of Optimism Collective to avoid inherited risk of being bias to projects/entities sending tokens to team vs. those which are not? What is benefit for me as ordinary ecosystem participant of such transactions?
Sorry, this is as good as I can re-formulate given English is not my native language. I’m new here - just trying to understand - I’m sure there must be conflict-of-interest avoidance rules in such cases, just can’t find it. Thanks!

3 Likes

tell me, in what way could OP Labs effectively bias anything in Velodrome’s favor? what exactly is the thing they would materially show us favor in?

5 Likes

Good question! I said I’m new here trying to understand interest of conflict rules on Optimism Collective (through just one real example to illustrate better what questions might arise)… Seems that you are experienced member here! I hoped that such knowledgable members will help to understand those simple questions, instead of asking me, lol

3 Likes

if you’d like to familiarize yourself with best practice, perhaps start with Code of Conduct just released yesterday for governance participants - it includes much of what you’re asking about

5 Likes

Thank you for not helping to understand, share, explain! Instead of answers to direct questions I’m leaded to general documents - I will read those for sure! I just can hope that other experienced members of this community are more welcoming to newcomers and arrogance/ignorance is not standard here! Trying to stay Optimistic, tho

3 Likes

Thanks for informing.

6 Likes

Conflict disclosure - It has relevance beyond just transparency. Legally has binding as well.

5 Likes

This is an important aspect and should be well defined.

4 Likes

Interesting points and insights. Loved reading this discussion.

3 Likes

Important and imperative

1 Like

How does it impact and why is it essential and important.