How Base will participate in Optimism Governance

Hi Jesse,

Congrats on everything you are building. I really like the onchain vision and hopefully the Superchain will help enable it sooner than later.

• How do you think Base should participate in Optimism governance?

In my short experience following Optimism governance, I’ve noticed it’s hard to get active participation from major delegates on some topics. I believe there are few delegates with major voting power and the incentives for them to participate are not strong enough, considering the required effort and time. In this thread @Joxes from @seedlatam addresses the problem with great detail and proposes a potential solution.

How could Base help on this? I believe Base has the chance to bring in many fresh delegates to OP governance by distributing it’s voting power. In my opinion, it’s a great opportunity to form a delegate team that:

• incorporates already active community members.
  • brings in delegates with diverse skill sets and backgrounds to participate on different topics.

I really like @Pr0’s suggestions on this matter.

• What unique perspectives can Base bring to Optimism governance?

Base has great experience attracting and providing value to retail. I think this perspective will be invaluable to the development of the Superchain vision. There are many ways in which this can be harnessed.

• How would you like to see us show up? What have you seen work well with other participants?

I really appreciate the effort put by the Collective in experimenting with non-plutocratic forms of governance. Sybil resistance has always been a great obstacle in this regard. I think Base can help bring in both existing and novel solutions to this problem, adding to the set of tools that the Collective will be able to count on.

On a different note, I would also like to add that Base could be the perfect success story to attract other key players in the ecosystem to the Optimism Vision. Hope that happens!

2 Likes