Grant Proposal Template [OLD]

Hi @lavande and @ben-chain
Do you have any response to Lindaā€™s and ArabianHorsesā€™ issues?

I.e. The blanket no-sale rule: Does it expire after a designated lock up period? Is there any allowance to use grants for the actual project that will be carried out?

It just seems odd that this rule has no stated expiry. Whatā€™s the incentive or reward for applying to and winning a grant from Season 3?
It seems like a paradox: Applicants are meant to incentivise growth, yet all the can do is effectively become an organisational bridge to hand over OP to its users. If these users are already familiar with Optimism then there is no growth, and if they are new to Optimism then why do they want OP (without at least at lot of future work & incurred costs by applicants to make OP appealing).

Sorry, Iā€™m happy to be corrected, by anyone here. But what am I missing? Why are organisations applying for Season 3, to become obligated to future work, without a reward or incentive? In particular when this is meant for small scale experiments?

Disclosure: Iā€™m strongly considering applying for Season 3 to help get a unique education program up and running in 2023, but after reading this Forum topic Iā€™m confused as to why to volunteer for this ~6 month effort with zero help to meet the running costs of the project, let alone be rewarded for it (beyond the incurred costs).

Thanks for any advice or clarification.

3 Likes

It is very good post. Thanks.

Hi, we created a grant proposal just before the end of the last voting cycle but unfortunately too late to finish by the cycle deadline. You can see this here . Now it seems that we donā€™t fit in either the Growth Experiments or Builder sub-committee outlines and the Partner fund looks to be intended for existing projects migrating to Optimism.

Could anyone suggest what we should do?

1 Like

Hi @Axel_T I think the idea is for OP tokens to be distributed to users and let them choose if they want to sell or not. Mainly to achieve decentralization. If you want/need funding there are other channels for it like Partnership Program, Retroactive public good funding, etc.

My own opinion is that OP tokens are tough to be a governance token. Even if they have a price, liquidity, and all. Their main use of them is to vote on the token house governance and this is why projects have a lock and no selling policy.

1 Like

Thanks @Gonna.eth I appreciate your direct response.

I donā€™t necessarily agree with your advice, as I donā€™t think it aligns with the Governance Fundā€™s goals and purpose, as outlined in the Optimism Docs and the Governance Fund Charter, and thus I donā€™t think itā€™s the best advice for the future of Optimism overall, but I still genuinely appreciate the response.

Itā€™s always good to get otherā€™s opinions, see how they interpret things, and you are still the only one to date who has responded to ArabianHorsesā€™, Lindaā€™s, and my own queries (all noted above) about this particular issue. So cheers! Itā€™ll all be taken on board.

Have a great day!

2 Likes

Weā€™re working on clarifying for everyone and will publish an update to the grant proposal template shortly!

2 Likes

Updated as outlined below:

• Included: Council Reviewer names
  • Incorporated: specification of milestones for milestone-based payments
  • Clarified: there is no expiration to this rule for Growth Experiments Grants
  • Added: ā€œOP received through Builders Grants should not be sold by the grant recipient for a period of one year. After a holding period of one year, Builders Grant recipients have full discretion over how they utilize OP, so long as it coincides with the objectives outlined in their proposal.ā€
2 Likes

Hi @lavande

1. Whatā€™s the reasoning behind the asymmetrical restrictions on ā€˜selling OP by grant recipientā€™? One group of grants is restricted from selling for a year, the other group of grants cannot sell forever. Whatā€™s the logic being used for the two different treatments? In particular if all objectives, plans and activities are outlined across both types of Proposals?

2. Secondly, @Subli_Defi and @Michael were discussing this issue (the idea of being ā€˜sponsoredā€™ via OP for future work) in the Post, (Request for Grants: Growth Experiments - #14 by FractalVisions. Michael says the operating framework and rules are yet to be set, and to stay tuned. But you have updated the Proposal Template 4 days ago, with apparently finalised policies. Iā€™m confused. Who should Grant Proposers be listening to when structuring our Proposals? Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks to anyone for any input here. Iā€™m considering dedicating the time to structure a Proposal for a Season 3 Grant, but Iā€™m just unable to prepare adequately with the conflicted messaging. So thanks to anyone for some clear & final guidance (even if that guidance is just to wait for now :slight_smile:)

Cheers.

1 Like

Hey @Axel_T,

On point #2, I would follow what is said in this post. I hadnā€™t seen the most recent update when I wrote the message in the other thread.

Cheers,
Michael

1 Like

Thanks for the insight & advice, @Michael
I much appreciate the uniform position.
Cheers.

1 Like

Hello! Iā€™m new here and trying to understand the processes and how everything works. I was wondering how this rule is getting enforced? As in, if a recipient breaks this rule, how would we know? And what would the consequence be for that recipient?

Note that this post will be updated. The Cycle 11 grants forms can be found here: Grants Proposal Template - Cycle 11.