[FINAL] Upgrade #1: Bedrock Protocol Upgrade - v2

I’m unclear about the timelines. Ideally, I’d like to see voting on this proposal after Go-live criteria is established, and 2 weeks’ stability is demonstrated, but it’s unclear at what point this proposal goes to vote. Cycle 11 seems a bit sketchy while Goerli testing is still pending on a new version with multiple changes post-Sherlock. Without that, governance voting is more like “giving Optimism Foundation rights to manage the upgrade as defined” rather than actually voting on the upgrade. Which may be the defacto situation anyway, and I don’t have an issue with that in this early stage, but it should be clarified. In the medium-to-long term, though, upgrade proposals should only be submitted after readiness for mainnet has been abundantly demonstrated.

Appreciate the detailed recap of Sherlock. Can the “internal upgrade rehearsals” be expanded akin to shadowforks L1 devs do? I.e. after the fork, mainnet transactions are replicated on the shadowfork. That’s a great way to test upgrades.

8 Likes