[DRAFT PROPOSAL]: Moving to a Grants Council

IMO this must be vested over a 6 to 12-month period with monthly releases. What a council member approves will directly benefit or harm his own future tokens over the next year.

I’m trying to wrap my mind around how these OP tokens can be used for hackathons and technical content with the year lock. Can you guys express an example of what you are thinking to better understand it?

All proposals going for this fund will have to provide their own treasury and metrics on the next year’s expenses, otherwise, we will be approving teams, projects, and hackathons without knowing if they have sufficient funds to be here 1-year latter.

We should work on expressing these activities in advance before approving this draft. It’ll give delegates a sense of participation and legitimize the Council.

I love it! I suggest council members have to ability to modify tags on proposals. As an ex-committee member I struggled with the forum coordination, I suggest:

• Enforce all new proposals to tag council members the first time they post it
  • Create a “not review by council” tag
  • Create a “review by council tag”

Let’s define the official channels:

• Read-only discord channel for the council to chat and coordinate
  • Forum responses

Let’s keep it simple and clear, we don’t want council members going through 3 or 5 channels of communication and missing relevant information.
Also create a Council tag on discord for any relevant meeting, kyc, or presentation they need to be aware of to be used by Optimism members.
Council call calendar and pre-define if google meet, zoom, discord etc.

Transparency with the community it’s a must but at the same time, the community should know where the council’s transparency is.

I can see council leaders be >0.5% to have both Optimism governance representation, skin in the game, and give the council legitimacy.

But delegations didn’t move that much since the airdrop. We got big delegates because they are well-known people in the space, not because they made a great job at reviewing proposals or for their long and great commitment to this governance. If you want to filter candidates do it for the job they put into governance these last 2 seasons not because of how influencers they are in the space when an airdrop happens. We want good reviewers, not good politicians wasting time champagning for their delegation % instead of doing the actual job they were elected to do.

1 Like