[DRAFT] [GF: Phase 1 Proposal] [Old template] Safe

Updated template here - [DRAFT] [GF: Phase 1 Proposal] [Updated template] Safe

Project Name: Safe (formerly Gnosis Safe)

Author Name: SafeGuardian

Number of OP tokens requested: 500 000

L2 Recipient: oeth:0x3EDf6868d7c42863E44072DaEcC16eCA2804Dea1

Relevant Usage Metrics: (TVL, transactions, volume, unique addresses, etc.):

For general usage metrics, please see our mainnet Dune dashboard and Optimism dashboard.

Key Mainnet Stats

• $40 Billion in AUM
  • 92,000 Safes created
  • 752,000 Safe transactions
  • 67 apps integrated to Safe App store

Key Optimism Stats

• TVL of ~$1.4 billion based on current OP valuation
  • 3,500 Safes created
  • 15,170 Safe transactions
  • 17 apps integrated to Safe App store

Safe App Store on Optimism

Optimism alignment (up to 200 word explanation):

The Optimism Collective rewards those who create or sustain public goods. The Safe itself is building a public good, multi-sig account that enables users to control their digital assets with granular permissions.

Our aim is to unlock new opportunities for ownership across individuals, DAOs and collectives; and we’ve been building this out on Optimism since our official deployment took place back in December 2021. We chose to deploy to OP because we are aligned on our decentralization values and vision for Ethereum’s path to scalability. Our decision to deploy here was made back in Q2 2021.

We are in for the long haul and we want our ecosystem on Optimism to scale and innovate in a sustainable way. We request additional funds to help further bootstrap this effort.

Proposal for token distribution (under 1000 words):

We are requesting these funds primarily for two reasons:

1. To be funded for our continued operation on Optimism
  2. To incentivize further growth within the Optimism ecosystem, boosting the number of dedicated Safe integrations / projects. This will be done via grants to research and build new features, Safe Apps, social recovery modules and interfaces.

How will the OP tokens be distributed?

The 500k OP tokens will be allocated to the SafeDAO, which will focus the distribution building on the Optimism Ecosystem.

The distribution would need to go through a governance vote, but the following distribution has been proposed via grants:

• 30% OP will be distributed to projects on Optimism that build new Safe-based UIs that leverage our core sdk.
  • 20% $OP will be distributed to R&D efforts e.g. improving cross-chain UX with smart contract wallets on OP.
  • 15% $OP will be distributed to dapps integrating as Optimism Safe Apps
  • 15% $OP will be distributed to the R&D of OP Safe modules/guards which build on top of the Safe’s access control and enable use cases such as Social Recovery.
  • 20% allocation to SafeDAO (retroactive reward and software maintenance cost)

How will this distribution incentivize usage and liquidity on Optimism?

With these grant distributions - Defi apps, NFT projects, DAO tooling, core infra and R&D collectives will be incentivized to build and collaborate further with Safe on Optimism.

The building will vastly improve our Optimism UX, incentivising usage, and scaling both projects. Creating a vibrant Safe <> OP ecosystem.

Why will the incentivized users and liquidity remain after incentives dry up?

The Safe solution on Optimism already holds a TVL of ~$1.4 billion based on current OP valuation. Moreover, we envision this TVL, along with our core usage stats, to continue increasing due to:

• Safe’s usability and security on OP improving with more features, research and tooling.
  • Additional Safe Apps in the Safe UI create more demand from individuals, DAOs and collectives. Onboarding new users to the app store, and in parallel, creating a portal for OP dapp discovery.

Over what period of time will the tokens be distributed?

12 to 24 months

How much will your project match in co-incentives?

Once SafeDAO is live, it will be allocated a Safe grants budget, which should help match the allocated rewards for builders and researchers.

10 Likes

I think this can really turn Optimism into the ideal place for builders from the Safe Ecosystem to build solutions around smart-contract accounts. For this we need to incentivize both usage but also development for the Safe Protocol on Optimism.

1 Like

Please use the new template.

Also, 35% R&D is going to the team? Please provide more details.

20% going to DAO, do you have any plan for this distribution? I know the DAO will decide but is there any primary focus, who sits on this DAO.

3 Likes

That’s what I always ask myself when I read these proposals! Then what happens after the incentives dry up? I’ve been waiting for someone to come up with an idea that is a positive feed back loop! Something that we can grant to someone and then it becomes like a snowball rolling down hill. It becomes a WIN-WIN for everyone evolved. And hopefully self sustaining!

1 Like

@OPUser - will re-publish with the new template and also address your comments in the update with details.

2 Likes

Why didn’t Safe airdrop consider users on the OP chain? Now apply for OP tokens like OP community? Aren’t you ashamed?

Agree, the first thing that popped out at me was the 20% going to the DAO. This seem like a bit much and I would like to understand the merits of a 20% distribution. Might be totally reasonable, just don’t have enough info to know.

I am a big time user of safe and love what you guys do, would you guys be willing to match any Safe tokens? I know the timeline for launch is a grey area for now.

I think Safe (DAO) should consider safes created on the Optimism chain for inclusion into the SAFE airdrop.

All for this! Gnosis Safe is a reputable player.

@SafeGuardian a little off-topic but, while this grant is debated, would you guys mind deploying an official Gnosis SAFE on Optimism Goerli? Right now there are none and it’s dearly missing :pray:

1 Like

This is a very good solution to activate the ecology

gnosis is cool and useful .its a good project

Updated template here - [DRAFT] [GF: Phase 1 Proposal] [Updated template] Safe

1 Like

@OPUser @jrocki.bedrock - Have updated the proposal here to address each of your follow ups. Can you take a look?

2 Likes