[DRAFT][GF: Phase 1 Proposal] MakerDAO

We have not yet formally presented it on the Maker forum, but we have discussed it with some members within the community. Likewise, the distribution proposal is really simple and benefits both MakerDAO and Optimism communities, I’m having a hard time to find the tradeoff it could present.

For both it is essential to promote the use and adoption of Optimism as the main L2 and they share the vision of scaling Ethereum since it provides a truly decetralized settlement layer.

For Maker, it increases demand for Dai
For Optimism, it increases the usability/liquidity in the network.

In case the proposal in the Maker forum is not approved (highly unlikely imho) the funds would be returned to the Foundation. As said by @rustboot.eth for this to be guaranteed, we have proposed the OP to be sent to a multisig where the Optimism Foundation together with an Optimism delegate are signers.

1 Like

We have not yet formally presented it on the Maker forum, but we have discussed it with some members within the community. Likewise, the distribution proposal is really simple and benefits both MakerDAO and Optimism communities, I’m having a hard time to find the tradeoff it could present.

My experience with governance is that it’s unpredictable, even when incentives are seemingly aligned. It may be beneficial to start the conversation in Maker governance in conjunction with OP governance but that’s just a suggestion.

Thank you for the proposal!

3 Likes

Based on comments suggested by @OPUser, the requested OP has been updated to 500,000.

2 Likes

We’d love to see MakerDao on Optimism.

Enabling users to trustlessly bridge is a good first step (esp. when later leveraged by MakerDao). As there are many other bridges live by now, we would not vote YES on purely incentivizing the bridge.

However, we’re looking forward to DAI, vaults… the MakerDao suite becoming a core component of the Optimism ecosystem and co-incentivizing an ecosystem around MakerDao on Optimism.

That said, the governance process is tricky, and product & incentivization rollout are a bit far out and we’d rather vote on a concrete proposal including some commitments/KPIs that we can track in the next 6 months. Hence, maybe a proposal ahead of the MCD launch will make most sense?

2 Likes

In order to not repeat the same confusion we had last time, my like to the proposer’s last comment should not be considered as support for his proposal to change it from Draft to Ready.

Just want to be clear so that we dont repeat the same mistake again. I will be more precise in my comment if I decide to support a proposal.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. After reviewing other proposals and seeing what the OP community is prioritizing for Yes votes with this current Phase, such as being able to measure the distributions immediate impact via kpis and metrics in the short term, we think it is best to wait until we are closer to the MCD (Maker vaults) deployment on Optimism.

That said, Makers fast withdrawal option, being able to withdraw your DAI without having to wait 7 days, is on track to be ready later this month/early next. This is a big feature for OP users that is unique to DAI.

We are excited to participate with the community along the way and will be proposing again in a few months when we can give more clarity on the MCD deployment.

Thanks and more to come :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Facundo as delegates in MakerDAO and Optimism we are excited to see this proposal.

I notice it has not been moved to [READY] status with the 3 pm deadline quickly approaching.

We support migrating this to its final stage to be voted on.

As for the MKR side - do you have an estimate of when it will be voted on in a signal request?

Greatness takes time

1 Like

hi @fig we decided to hold off on progressing to a vote until we are closer to MCD deployment (planned for 4th qtr) because most of the OP distributions will be activated around vault usage. We will plan to do a signal request in Maker in the next month or so.

4 Likes