Project Name: GPUX (https://gpux.ai/)
Project Type: Infrastructure, Marketplace
Author Name: vans163 (@van163 TG)
I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the Optimism Foundation to receive this grant: Yes
L2 Recipient Address: vans163.eth
Which Voting Cycle are you applying for?: Cycle 7
Is this proposal applicable to a specific committee? No
Project Description (please explain how your project works):
We create a decentralised protocol (think IPFS) to connect GPU providers (ex-miners, onprem labs, etc) with GPU consumers (Midjourney inference/training, other AI Art, AI training, AI inference, blender animation rendering, etc).
In a post-merge world this creates a cost savings of 66-95% for GPUs compared to centralised clouds.
- Website: https://gpux.ai/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/gpux_ai
- Discord/Discourse/Community: gpuedge
- Please include all other relevant links below:
Please link to any previous projects the team has meaningfully contributed to: NEAR Protocol
Relevant Usage Metrics: Transactions for compute, Deposits by consumers, Payouts to providers, total compute power in network, total unique accounts
Optimism native: No
Date of deployment/expected deployment on Optimism: After start of OP GPU-provider/ecosystem-app incentive program
Ecosystem Value Proposition:
- What is the problem statement this proposal hopes to solve for the Optimism ecosystem?
- New category of DApps can be built, imagine AI Art (diffusion) NFT minting, the diffusion inference can happen on GPUX instead of the AWS/GCP Cloud.
- How does your proposal offer a value proposition solving the above problem?
- By providing the infrastructure or “layer0” to run said functionality required by next gen DApps on top of.
- Why will this solution be a source of growth for the Optimism ecosystem?
- Marketplaces in-general produce very high growth once functional. Demand for GPUs is growing fast with breakthroughs in AI (diffusion, NLP, reinforcement learning, robotics). ETH just left equivalent of 5m 3090ti without work.
Has your project previously applied for an OP grant? No
Number of OP tokens requested: 300,000
Did the project apply for or receive OP tokens through the Foundation Partner Fund?: No
Proposal for token distribution:
How will the OP tokens be distributed?
- a. 17% Engineering
This is for our core team engineers and trusted compute (SGX) team (which is on contract)
- b. 33% Early adopter App Builder incentive
This is for builders incentive building apps on GPUX, apps can be similar to StableDiffusions, Reface, GigapixelAI, GPT3, etc.
- c. 17% Marketting/Community
So people learn about and know what GPUX is. That it exists.
- d. 33% Early adopter Node Incentive (fold protein to cure alzheimer’s / train AI to help good causes)
To bootstrap farming nodes (computers with GPUs) we want to create our own jobs for the greater good, like protein folding. This means we dont need a 2 sided market (with users and farmers, we can bootstrap the user side via this incentive pool. NEARCrowd uses similar model providing the reward to earners from their staked NEAR)
Over what period of time will the tokens be distributed?
- a. 18 mon.
- b. As users build on the platform (6-18 mon) (we want to host a few hackathons + partner with education company to teach how to build)
- c. 18 mon. Everyone in crypto should know atleast that GPUX exists by 18 months.
- d. Linked to b., the quicker b adopts the quicker we will distribute d. But in-order for b. to adopt we need to incentivise via d.
Please list the milestones/KPIs you expect to achieve for each initiative:
- a. Elixir SDK, JS SDK, Node Explorer /w Simple HTTP API (no need to integrate SDK yourself similar to using INFURA nodes)
- b. Individual milestones which each builder, have their apps hit 10 | 100 | 10_000 | 1m txs per day.
- c. Twitter scores and other marketting reach KPIs
- d. Node Stability, Node is honest about its capacity
How will this distribution incentivize usage and liquidity on Optimism?
- Early node incentives will make it profitable to connect hardware to
GPUX even if the consumer side is not fully saturated.
- Every transaction for shortterm compute will go through optimism, including the followup
Example: A user requests 3 nodes and take 32cpucores, 128gb ram and 4 gpus from each. For a total of 96 cores, 384G ram, 12 gpus. They realize they need more time and topup their deposit for an extra 3 hours. After they finish training their neural network they request a deposit refund from the node providers. Total OP transactions 9. 1 tx to each node provider with deposit (3 total), 1tx to each node provider for topup (3+3 total). Each node provider back to the user with their refund (3+3+3 total).
Why will the incentivized users and liquidity remain after incentives dry up?
- The marketplace just needs to get rolling with both sides. Users will see how good
the experience on GPUX is and they will not leave. Find us a platform you would use over
GPUX for your spot gpu tasks and we will innovate to make said task impossible.
Stable Diffusion Example (One of the many apps that may be built on top of GPUX):
(In the future the Node Explorer will have a much nicer UX. Because each node is decentralized+independent this is the UI when you directly visit a node)