Delegate Commitments [OLD]

Name: Jacob

Address or ENS: jacob.willemsma.eth

Discord username: Jacobw#1996

Verification: Tally | 49Z8L4

I have read and understood the Delegate Commitment Process: Yes :white_check_mark:

I understand that becoming a delegate is a significant commitment: Yes :white_check_mark:

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:
I believe that Optimism is good for Ethereum and am a strong believer in the use of L2 networks to further democratize access to the ideals provided by Ethereum.

Additionally, I’ve contributed to Public Goods personally with my time and talents at ETHGlobal, which was a fortunate recipient in Optimism’s first retroactive grants round and have a first-hand understanding of operating a Public Good.

I’m thrilled to see that Optimism embraces both Ethereum and Public Goods with open arms and is building out its Optimistic vision around these topics. As both topics are the focus of my time and energy, I’d be honoured to participate in this process as a delegate.

My view on the Optimistic Vision:
I love the axiom of impact=profit and have seen ETHGlobal grow from a small team running a couple of events to dozens of yearly events and a team of nearly 15. There’s an incredible positive feedback cycle I’ve observed between either side of the equality—impact increases profit, and profit can be reinvested to produce additional impact.

It’s very easy to be (and remain) pessimistic about the future but optimism is the currency of progress. I believe the vision laid out by Optimism will play a part in creating a better future for humanity.

My view on the first three articles of the Working Constitution:

1. In the USA over the last month or so, regardless of position on the issue, we’ve seen the instability that can be caused by an immutable constitution. Web3 + Ethereum is still in its infancy and it seems only natural to me that we should adopt a commitment to flexibility and experimentation. I look forward to building a more long-term constitution from the learnings over a long period.
  2. I’m excited to see how this model will play out and adapt over time. Checks and balances are fundamental to ensure a calibrated system.
  3. I think the Optimism Foundation should look to the Ethereum Foundation as an example of how to be a great steward like this. I believe it’s necessary for any community to start with an initial strong vision and leadership, as the Collective will grow, naturally, leaders in specific topics of the ecosystem will emerge, leading to a more decentralized, constantly growing, Collective.

My Web3 interests:
Accessibility, Identity, Governance, Social impact, Events

Languages I speak and write:
en, fr

My skills and areas of expertise:
Thoughtful communication, organization, software development, business development, management.

My favorite Web3 projects:
MakerDAO, IPFS, ENS

4 Likes