Delegate Commitments [OLD]

Name: Scott Moore

Address or ENS: ceresstation.eth

Discord username: ceresstation#2350

Twitter: @notscottmoore (verification will be posted here soonTM)

I have read and understood the Delegate Commitment Process: Yes

I understand that becoming a delegate is a significant commitment: Yes

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:

~Public goods are good.

But really, I’ve spent the last 5 years putting my heart and soul into funding public goods as a co-founder of Gitcoin. Over that time, we’ve seen projects like Dune Analytics, Ethers.js, Snapshot, Uniswap, WalletConnect, Yearn, and of course Plasma Group (now Optimism) reach sustainability in a variety of ways that are only possible thanks to Ethereum. While I’m proud of the impact we’ve been able to have, I believe that to scale our work further it is crucial that we do more to dispel the myth that public goods aren’t profitable. Having connected with @optimistprime and others on the Optimism team so much over the years, and worked closely with them via Gitcoin, I’m confident that they will be able to help achieve this goal, both thanks to the sheer talent on their team and their broader values alignment.

My view on the Optimistic Vision:

Public goods are often discussed as goods that are non-excludable and non-rivalrous. I submit that a better framing might be to consider public goods as goods that create positive externalities. In that framing, we can find plenty of examples of projects in Ethereum, including many DAOs, that are critical for the long term sustainability of web3. These projects should be financially rewarded such that they can not only survive, but thrive, and we now have new coordination and incentive mechanisms to ensure that happens in a way that benefits all market participants. In short, I believe in the optimistic vision for the same reason I believe in playing positive-sum games.

My view on the first three articles of the Working Constitution:

1. "This is a “Working” Constitution"

Good governance means working flexibly and adjusting direction not only based on the will of the community but based on learnings that naturally happen as a DAO scales. Huge fan of this approach and especially a fan of the four year limit. Consensus > immutability.

2. "OP Citizens and OP Holders will equally coexist within the Collective."

Love the idea of checks and balances across different decision-making bodies, and strongly agree with Vitalik here. Although DAO governance is a powerful tool, we need to be careful, just in other democratic systems, to avoid implicit or explicit plutocracy.

3. "The Optimism Foundation will be a steward of the Optimism Collective and its early governance model."

I strongly agree with the idea of progressive decentralization and believe it’s only natural for Optimism to focus in on the foundation to start and slowly expand its values and goals out to the community. A DAO without direction cannot achieve its goals, and there needs to be a core group that sets the initial conditions for future direction / growth.

My Web3 interests:

DAOs, governance, economics, social impact, privacy

Languages I speak and write:

English, French

My skills and areas of expertise:

partnerships, governance design, economic modeling, community building

My favorite Web3 projects:

Gitcoin, Optimism, ENS

Let’s create a positive-sum world.

12 Likes