Delegate Commitments [OLD]

Name: Charlie Feng

Address or ENS: cfeng.eth

Discord username: zcf#9299

Verification: https://twitter.com/charliecfeng/status/1612940955660816384?s=20

I have read and understood the Delegate Commitment Process: Yes

I understand that becoming a delegate is a significant commitment: Yes

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:

First and foremost, I find the Optimistic Vision to be inspiring in its desire to coordinate and organize communities. As someone who’s a long-time startup operator, I find the mission to dispel the myth of public goods vs. profitability to be a cause I’d like to support.

As someone building governance tooling for Optimism (Agora), I am both deeply interested in helping improve the governance experience as a whole and also sharing our learnings and experiences to support other projects and builders.

From a practical perspective, we bring forth a group of builders and operators with deep operational, financial and product experience across both web3 and TradFi.

My view on the Optimistic Vision:

Public goods are often the backbones of most of our favorite tools on the internet. Yet they’re woefully underfunded, undersupported, and understaffed. The fact that Optimism wants to change this is inspiring, and I’d like to do my part in contributing to this mission.

I deeply believe in the phrase: “show me the incentives, and I will show you the result”, and I believe if Optimism is successful, it can greatly improve the incentive dynamics of how builders and participants behave in the web3 ecosystem.

My view on the first three articles of the Working Constitution:

1. Agreed – Permanent structures often have unintended consequences. So I like the explicit framing of this as an experiment with an expiry date. However, I would add that it’s also important to strike a balance between exploratory vs. doubling down for results (which often requires executing consistently over a longer period of time). I believe the key here lies in the time-frame of each objective.
  2. Agreed – While this balance of short-term vs. long-term is crucial. I think it’s one of those “easy to say, hard to execute” statements. Incentives will ultimately drive this behavior and I’ve seen it corrupted time and time again in organizations, which I think ties nicely into #3.
  3. Agreed – I’m supportive because I think the role of the Foundation is crucial especially at the early stages of kickstarting a flywheel. As the ecosystem grows, the jobs to be done that the Foundation initially takes on does not disappear, but rather decentralizes into other stewards among the community.

My Web3 interests:
Accessibility, DAOs, Governance, Economics, Legal

Languages I speak and write: en, zh

My skills and areas of expertise: fintech, operations, alternative debt/capital markets, risk management. Among the team, we have expertise in smart contracts, product/design, governance, DeFi.

My favorite Web3 projects:
Uniswap, ENS, Compound

Lastly, as builders of Agora (proposal) and to our commitment of building governance tooling as a neutral party, we plan to keep our voting power below 2% of voting supply as to remain a neutral party.

4 Likes