Are Competitions Better?

I think the Optimism Foundation knows this is the next step, which is why part of the future council has 3 members dedicated to approving developer events like hackathons.

Quote from:

• Builders Sub-Committee:
    • Goal: maximize the number of developers building on Optimism
    • Non-goal: retroactive funding
    • Possible RPFs: prospective builder grants for new projects, hackathons, technical content
    • Format: proposers receive grants, suggested to be <50k OP, which are locked for a period of 1-year. If access to upfront capital is a blocker for applicants, Optimism may put them in touch with alternative resources to support teams in this position.
    • Budget: 850k OP / Season
    • Reviewers: 3 (see below)
    • Consensus: 2/3 vote required to fund a grant

There are already plenty of DAOs and developer organizations we should reach out to. For example, Secureum makes a developer race every month:

This is already happening we just have to incentivize moving it to Optimism.

Yes but I think either the competition should be ready so we can verify how it works, or the hosts already have some background in doing this kind of thing.

This one it’s tricky because they are promoting their own brand with OP prices so this is mostly a win-win situation without payment. If they charge for any other service then $OP prices are good marketing for their brand and they attract more clients. If the host it’s a nonprofit living on donations then this is the same case, OP used as prices will create marketing enough to bring in more donations. I think this will have to be examined on each proposal.

Clear rules from the beginning
Well-known organizations with hackathon history can have bigger prices but they should apply full transparency
New hosts can have an OP request limit for their first event and earn trust step by step
All hosts would post a thread for accountability like grants approved from season 2

good times are ahead!

8 Likes