Change the use of OP tokens from a governance token to the main network token for gas payment

yes, run an actual working L2 on a database server that can be paused anytime the team want.

From what I know, it will be in OP

very good idea. I hope team olso like it and start.

very good! Need to pass

very good idea. I hope team olso like it and start voting.,…

非常赞同楼主的提议,这将有助op向前发展。

No true, it might bring value to the $OP but increase adaptation and usage will depend on how good the roll ups are working. There are many other L2 project tailing OP closely and they should focus on improving the L2, which they are already doing. Its other way around actually, adaptation and usage might bring value to $OP.

sing $OP will result in a 25% gas fee discount!

what ? why ?

significant utility on the network

like what ? apart from gov token, I dont see any ?

Increased trading volume for $OP

True, but is this the mail goal here? increasing the value of $OP or on boarding other billion people to this new fast moving cyber space ? (1)

Increase the total market cap with the usage of $Op tokens as Gass

what ? total market cap of what ? $OP or the value bridged to OP ecosystem. ? That never gonna work long term, I already see challenges with Phase 0 proposals where most projects are focusing on giving incentives, in $OP, for using the project. This is a huge challenge and will fail long term. Do you really thing people will stay once the incentive dry up or they see better option? Remember other L2s are watching us.

Increase the price of the $OP

and ? check above (1)

Increased user choice on the network.

this one i agree.

Makes it easier for bridging.

is it already easy, once click and boom you are on L2 from main chain

Eliminates the need to bridge both $ETH and $OP for network usage

what? need more information here ? please explain,may be with an example ?

Technical Details

this one is fine, I am from business background and limited understanding on contract. For sake of discussion, I agree, what you are saying might work and user will be able to choose between ETH/OP, now you tell me, how this will encourage a user to bridge to OP ecosystem ?

Here is my example, why it wont.
Lets say, as a user, I want to take a loan from Compound and I can do this directly on settlement layer, or on an L2, like OP or Arbitrum, to save some fee. Now, having an option to pay fee in $OP/ETH has nothing to do with my need, I will choose the protocol which is fast, cheap and has better fraud proof algo implemented. Other way around might work, if OP chain is fast, cheap and has better fraud proof tech, I might consider paying in $OP but we are far from there, arent we ?

Why do we need a strong OP token?

gas=eth+op grinning:

It’s a good idea to expand more usage scenarios for OP and inspire more projects to develop on Optimism.

yes ,thats so good!!!

doesn’t make much sense. where do the OP tokens go once in the protocol? they are sold for eth for the l2 to pay the gas fees? also, not aligned with eth or the governance mission

2 Likes

good idea! :slight_smile: could be very interesting for the $OP value in long term

Sounds good!This would def help Op as a project and ops token price too.

This would make the protocol less decentralized as someone is going to have to sell those OP tokens to pay gas fees on L1. So I would like to stick to Eth.

I’m unable to edit my original reply but I wish to apologize for the tone of my response. I want to help encourage an exchange of ideas rather than denigrating others because I don’t agree with them. I apologize to the proposal author and it’s supporters. I was out of line.

The technical implications of doing this make this a bad idea. I am under the impression the only genuine argument for this proposal is $OP token price will go up - I’m highly against using this metric to make governance decisions.

1. Accepting $OP and $ETH as gas (or just $OP) requires the protocol to make DEX swaps buying $ETH to pay L1 fees and likely to pay L2 validators. This requires Optimism chain to chose a DEX - showing favor to a non-native application on its chain. This proposal requires the Blockchain to pick a favorite DEX -imo this is not an option, and goes against the ethos of general purpose blockchains.

2. This breaks Ethereum equivalence and goes against the mission of Optimism. It destroys the dev experience of porting over Ethereum applications without additional overhead and contract changes. We are trying to scale Ethereum, not pump $OP. linking @ayrtonb Change the use of OP tokens from a governance token to the main network token for gas payment - #49 by ayrtonb

1 Like

I totally agree. OP also needs to consider EIP1559.

This is a good idea. I support this

1 Like

So, how to implement this program? After the community proposal is discussed, the project party will initiate a vote?